Production Notes

Go down

Production Notes

Post  Captain Video on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 pm

I've been thinking about this for some time, and I've decided we need a thread for the sort of production ephemera that that crop up in the production of Our World. Between the idea and the finished strip are loads of notes, sketches, reference images and experiments.

While I don't propose to subject even the most willing readers to ALL of it, there are a lot of things I think are worth showing drunken . Most of the visual stuff is Kuurion's and I'll have to clear it with him before I can show it, but since he's already brought up the following in regular discussion, I'd like to introduce readers to one of the "experiments" - a comic in black and white. Specifically, this week's comic:

For reference, here's what it looks like in color:

One of the things we've been grappling with - and in this case, it's mostly Kuurion - is production time. Most of MY work is done in my head, and then I sit down and produce a script (the scripts take longer than you think they might, but still). Kuurion's work is much harder, and so he sat down and made a comic in black and white.

The problem was that you can't do as much with gray as you can with color - and that's even if you're using full-spectrum gray, which he didn't because full-spectrum gray takes as much time to color as color does. He used four colors - black, white, light gray and dark gray. The final result was too drastic for either of our satisfaction.

That being said, though, I love how those two top panels came out in black and white - it reflects, with startling aptitude, the department store loading bay experience I was trying to evoke through description alone. Industrial yet homey. Problems with black and white are more obvious instead in the lower panels, which are meant to be more personal.
Captain Video
Admin

Back to top Go down